Title IX at Columbus State University
Title IX is a federal law that prohibits sex-based discrimination, including pregnancy-related discrimination and sexual harassment/sexual violence, in all activities and programs of educational institutions receiving federal funds, which includes Columbus State University. It provides that:
"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of,
or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance."
Title IX applies to all University services and academic programs both on and off campus including, but not limited to:
• Financial aid
• Class assignments & course offerings
• Academic advising & instruction
• Evaluation & grading
• Health and counseling services
• Recreational, residential life & extracurricular services and programs
• Employment of faculty, staff and graduate assistants, including the recruitment, consideration and selection processes.
All University community members must comply with Title IX, including, without limitation: students, faculty, staff, university administrators, coaches, counselors and visitors.
Title IX Coordinator
The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for monitoring and overseeing Title IX compliance at the University, to include coordination of training, education, communications, and administration of grievance procedures for faculty, staff, students and other members of the University community.
Title IX inquiries or complaints should be directed to:
Lauren A. Jones, J.D.
Director of Center for Accommodation and Access/Title IX Coordinator
Columbus, GA 31907
U.S. Department of Education
Office of Civil Rights
Region IV – Atlanta
Office of Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
Sam Nunn Atlanta Federal Center, Suite 16T70
61 Forsyth Street, S.W.
Atlanta, GA 30303-8909
(800) 368-1019 (ph)
(800) 537-7697 (TDD)
(404) 562-7881 (local)
An OCR complaint form is also available online.
• CSU Sexual Misconduct Policy
• Sexual Harassment Policy
• Policy Memorandum: Notice of Non-Discrimination under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, 20 U.S.C. 1681 et seq.
• What to do if you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted or harassed
• Sexual Harassment Prevention Training