Alcohol and Drug Education Task Force
The Alcohol and Drug Education Task Force is a volunteer staff and student committee established to educate the student body of Columbus State University about safe drinking and the dangers of drug use.
Columbus State University is one of hundreds of institutions nationwide requiring every incoming student to complete AlcoholEdu – a non-opinionated, science-based course taken by hundreds of thousands of students each year. Whether or not you drink, AlcoholEdu empowers students to make well-informed decisions and provides some simple strategies to help keep you and your friends safe.
Task Force Events
Is it Worth it? Campaign:
GloCade Casino Night: Hosted on Main Campus, students gained credits to play in our Glocade mock-casino by answering questions correctly about alcohol consumption, drug use, and sexual assault..
Counseling Center Alcohol and Drug Assessments: Students were able to participate in an assessment that would establish their levels of drinking and drug consumption, their perception of alcohol and drugs, and their individual understandings of alcohol and drugs.
Stay Tuned for more events...
Task Force Campaigns
Smoke-Free Campus: Throughout the 2009/2010 academic year, the Alcohol and Drug Education Task Force researched the possibility of a tobacco-free campus. A proposal including relevant college statistics, positive reasons for becoming a tobacco free campus, and ideas and recommendations for enforcement was created and present to the President's Cabinet, Staff Council, Faculty Senate, and Student Government Association. All of these groups supported the proposal with the suggestion that there be some designated smoking areas at least during an initial phase of moving to a smoke-free campus. This campaign continues throughout Columbus State University's campus.
To find out more about this policy, click here.
Task Force Staff Committee Members:
- Robin Peacock: Residence Life, Senior Residence Life Manager, Task Force Chair
- Julio Llanos: Athletics, Assistant Athletic Director/Sports Medicine, Diversity & Inclusion/Compliance,
- Dana Larkin: Student Affairs, Assistant Dean of Students
- Jacques Wells: Athletic Parapro, Athletics
- Tessie Taylor: Sergeant, University Police
- Kimberly Melson: Staff Psychologist, Counseling Center
- Theresa Willey: Project Coordinator, Violence Against Women Program
- Cedricia Thomas: Student Development Specialist, Student Life and Development
- Chris Hovel: Residence Life Coordinator, Residence Life
- Mekala Williams: Bacchus Peer Health Educators
- Taylor Bischoff: Graduate Assistant, Greek Life
- Margaret McIntyre: Graduate Assistant, Residence Life
- Rebecca Tew: Student Health Center, Director
For more information or to become involved with this task force, please contact Robin Peacock at firstname.lastname@example.org
BACCHUS PEER HEALTH EDUCATORS
- Alcohol Policies
- Counseling Center
- Drug Policies
- Alternative Justice for Alcohol and Marijuana
- Student Health Services
- University Police
Georgia Drug Abuse Helpline
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration